Scripture Reading: Matthew 10:1-16; Mark 3:13-19; Luke 6:12-16, 9:14
“Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.” (Matthew 10:16)
I had now been just a little over one full year in the ministry. I had only a short time left on earth. I needed helpers — men whom I could train to help Me in My work while I was with them, and to carry it on after I was gone.
I went up into the mountains alone to pray. A number of men had been following Me. I had to know the Father’s will; it was important that I only ordain those whom He had prepared to serve with Me.
I also knew that among those whom I would ordain, one must be different from all the others. He would be evil in his heart and would eventually betray My whereabouts to My enemies so that I would be arrested and crucified.
Sometimes you too must permit a “Judas” to be included in the group who will work with you in the ministry. Do not always try to get rid of “Judases.” They are there for your perfecting, and also to test and try those who work with you to see if they will remain loyal to you under testing and temptation. You will be surprised how many of those whom you trusted will follow the “Judas Goat”* and be led astray.
Yet these things are necessary. Did I not say, “I have chosen you and one of you is a devil” (John 6:70) and “it is needful that offenses come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!” (Matthew 18:7)
After I had chosen twelve men, I ordained them to go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel (Matthew. 10:1-6).
It is important that you know who should be your co-workers and where you should go. Always wait until you get your orders from Me. Never make decisions in your own understanding.
I commissioned them to preach the Gospel, heal the sick, cleanse the leper, raise the dead, and cast out devils (Mathew. 10:7-8).
There are ten important points to remember when you are called:
- Wait for Me to send you.
- Go only to the places I approve.
- Do only the works I have commissioned you to do. (If you do any more than that you will break under the burden).
- Remember it will not be easy. You will be hated even as I was. You will be persecuted by men. But trust Me to be with you and help you to give the right answers to your inquisitors when that happens.
- Trust Me to supply all your needs.
- Trust Me to protect you. Never be afraid of your enemies (Matthew 10:28).
- Love everyone, but trust only a few.
- Be willing to lay down your life.
- You shall be rewarded for your faithfulness.
- I am coming soon and My reward for your faithfulness is with Me.
* Judas Goat: a male goat that is kept for the purpose of leading the other sheep and goats to their slaughter.
From the Heart of Jesus by Gwen Shaw
Available from our webstore: